Thursday, February 21, 2008

Human Beings Do Horrible Shit to Each Other. Regularly.

CHIANG MAI: What else did I do in PP? Shopped around, which was difficult given that it was Chinese New Year, walked around, saw an elephant drinking coffee in a cafe (seriously), enjoyed a quite beer at the Foreign Correspondent's Club overlooking the river and visited the Royal Palace which was, at best, ok.

I also did the genocide highlights including Tuol Seng prison where people where tortured during the Khemer Rouge regime. It's a converted school that's been largely left in it's original condition. I also visited the killing fields where several thousand skulls have been arranged in a memorial stupa. Their are numerous mass graves littered around the grounds. Great photo ops for tourists.

It was horrible stuff but I couldn't quite sink to the levels of despair of my fellow tourists. I was actually talking to my mate Shaun about it and we both agree that just generally traveling through Bosnia is a lot more traumatic. The reminders of war and genocide in that country are unrelenting. And while it was upsetting I've seen memorials and museums dedicated to this kind of shit in Warsaw, Krakow, Auschwitz, Mostar, Sarajevo, Dubrovnik, Riga, Talinn, Moscow and St. Petersburg, amongst others. Human beings do horrible shit to each other. Regularly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home