Monday, October 08, 2007

Rugby Rant

ST LUKE'S: So we lost the rugby and the English are crowing about it. I can't speak for all rugby fans but I don't believe I'm apt to go on about things when we win. I'd rather turn my attention to the next tournament. But that's by the by. What does grate me, is the accusations of arrogance that are thrown at the Aussies. Australian sports fans are, for the most part, confident. It's a confidence born out of past success in a huge variety of sports. When our teams go into battle we expect to win. Contrast this to the English fan where the prevailing attitude is pessimism. The average English fan seems to approach a contestant thinking well we'll probably lose but I'm a fan, I'm compelled to watch, and you never know. It's this collision between the respective fan's approaches, I think, that leads to the Aussies getting labelled arrogant. Anyway I'm probably ranting. I expected my team to win. They didn't. Instead they were monstered by a braver, more committed side. C'est la vie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home