Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Rest of Florence

ST LUKE'S: So on this hot Champion's League Final day I'll try and bash out my final reminisces on my days in Florence. What else did I do? Without my photos to remind me - who knows I may retrieve them or I may have to steal somebody elses - I'll have to rely on that archaic device... memory.

On my last day in Florence, after leaving the Uffizi, I wandered over the Pontevecchio (the famous bridge) and down to the Pallazzo Pitti and then after baulking at the entrace price I walked down the river to some church/lookout point that provides some stunning views over the city. But it was raining and crammed with tourists so I smoked a couple of cigarettes then went back to winding my way through the streets.

I also visited the former home of Renaissance poet and all round nice guy Dante Aligheri. Dante, most famous for his trek into Hell with Virgil, has had his abode transformed into a small museum that provides small insights into his life but huge insights into life under the Medicis and the various feuds between the Guelphs and Ghibellines. (Doesn't make sense to you? Time to book a historical holiday!)

I'm sure I did some other stuff. I ate food. I know I did that. I drank. I definitely did that. There was some gelati. Wherever I went in Italy there was gelati. I don't need photos to remind me of that. I've got a waist line. Anyway if I think of anything else I'll post it on here in the vain belief that you might be interested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home