Saturday, May 19, 2007

Michelangelo in Florence

ST LUKE'S: Obviously the first play for Michelangelo in Florence is the Galleria d'Academia which is basically a purpose-built display case for the world's most famous sculpture. First glimpsing David is one of those exciting art moments where you round a corner, instantly feel a shock of recognition and then turn away in an instant in an attempt to preserve the 'freshness' of your eyes.

The statue is immense. On my first look I wasn't particularly impressed but I wandered around other parts of the museum, including an extensive and very interesting exhibition of Renaissance-era musical instruments, and then returned for a second go. That's when it got me. Round and round David I went like merry go round. With each new pass another detail would reveal itself. The contours of his calves, flexed but tentative, the cords in his neck rising with the turn of the head, the perfectly sculpted muscles. Even the pose, one of fear and trepidation, of youth on the verge of an immense challenge, is perfectly captured. Later in the week, in Rome, I would see sculptures that far surpassed it, but for the moment it was probably the greatest sculpture I had ever seen.

I also visited several other sculptures hidden in a Medici Chapels and an immense staircase that advanced improbably through a room like a marauding army. What is so amazing about these Renaissance artists is their ability to transfer their aesthetic skills and apply their talents across an array of media.

Anyway this might be shite but I've banged it out at warp speed at work on a Saturday listening to England v. West Indies in the Test match and my mind feels foggy after a few cheeky beers at Flo and Lou's place last night.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home