Monday, September 18, 2006

Storm in a Pope Mobile

BEDFORD ROAD: As you, my trusted readers, probably know this blog is apt to careen somewhat schizophrenically from travel-logue to social commentary to hack political grandstanding. So here we are again, arriving at another crisis, pumped up by ideologues on both sides, desperate to bill this as the clash of cultures.

How many people have actually read the Pope's lecture? Now how many people have an opinion? The complex theological essay actually concerns the relationship between religious rationality and scientific rationality. I'm no theologian, and I probably only grasped a shallow understanding of the official English translation of the lecture, but the Pope at no stage condemns Islam nor the Prophet Mohammed. When he cites (that's an important and oft-forgotten word) his Byzantian, he seems, at least to this reader, to do so in order to open up a dialogue between faiths. To demonstrate how it has been done in the past and how it can be done now when the need is so pressing. Rather than condemning Islam, I believe the Pope is condemning the rationality which leads many Westerners to disdain, however casually, the conviction of Muslims. This is the leap that turns them, in the Western press, from profound believers to insane terrorists.

But these aren't the types of views that inflame the minds of the often impressionable, disillusioned and desperate youth of the Arab St. His comments on the make up of Europe could, perhaps, be more concrete grounds for vexation. With debate over Turkey entering the EU and rapidly growing Muslim populations in most member countries then the assertion that Christianity "remains the foundation of what can rightly be called Europe" may prove more controversial if taken out of context. However it seems this passage wouldn't have demanded the headlines. (And I don't believe that was what the Pope was saying but the intentions of the speaker seem to be completely superfluous to anybody with an opinion on this current outrage.)

I could go on but I don't think my humble understanding would do the work of an internationally renowned theologian any justice and nor would it get me wrapped up in bed reading Simon Schama's Rough Crossing any quicker and it's definitely not going to help me get downstairs and hang out my washing so I can go running tonight.

If after reading this you don't agree with me read it . You're welcome to disagree with me. The Pope would surely agree. After all he cites John declaring that God is logos, both reason and word. The reason and word to debate, to argue, to consider, to experience the "truth of existence".

PS. And in a flippant aside, I don't want to be seen as coming down to harsh on Islam here because I think the fundamentalists on both sides are colussal dicks, but how can they fail to see the irony of announcing that theirs is a peaceful religion whilst simultaneously decrying their desire to murder the Pope. (And like I said I don't believe this is what Islam is all about!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home