Thursday, June 29, 2006

Emo as Fuck

BEDFORD ROAD: So I've basically polished off three quarters of a coconut and while I've been sitting inside applying for jobs (the tally stands at 53 now) the beautiful sun has been battered into submission by the clouds so my afternoon plan, of a laze on the common, seems somewhat spoiled.

Anyways those of you of an emo bent might be interested to know I went to see Death Cab for Cutie at the Brixton Academy last night. On my own. (Is that sad? I don't think so, I got there as they were playing and left when they finished so I probably wouldn't have spoken to anyone anyway. Maybe the fact that I had to come home eat £2 chicken, drink beer and watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart on my own is, but the concert solo I could handle.) And they were fantastic. Not as good as the Lips but then how far will I get if I insist on comparing everything to that.

They played most of their hits with "What Sarah Said", "Soul Meets Body" and "Transatlantacism" as the highlights. The absolute apex was a thumping version of "We Look Like Giants" with an extended drum jam with a guest 2nd drummer and after that their encore looked a little weak. The most surprising thing was how many Amercians were there. Every second conversation I overheard was in "American" and judging by the number of polo shirts, they're a much more mainstream band over there.

Anyway on another note I'm still waiting to hear back about my dream job. Some of you may know that I went for an interview a couple of weeks back for what would be my dream job. However I'm yet to hear anything other than positives that are balanced by indecision. If that makes any sense? The long and the short of it is that I'm stuck in this purgatory. If anybody has ideas for mental balance, there's a comments link on the bottom of this page that you all seem to be ignoring.

3 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

death cab are playing splendor here [which i'm not attending], but they've anounced a side show in bris - which i am attending.

i was only recently informed that death cab are indeed an emo band. it made me feel a bit dirty. is that fair?

- neal

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger liam79 said...

emo is.... i'm not exactly sure but i think it involves looking like somebody out of panic at the disco. i also think to be emo you need to be on myspace and under about 21.

plus the entire crowd at the gig seemed to be americans who had seen the band on the oc. now, to put it slightly differently for 90s vintage readers, can you imagine an emo band playing the peach pit? (no, but the flaming lips did!)

guy can you send me some of the funny emo links... the game, how to dress emo etc.

where are they playing in bris?

sorry if this is a rambling comment but its 5:01 in the morning, i'm still at work and i just watched the sun come up.

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's a link to a series about an emo called hope.

http://www.hopeisemo.com/

it's produced by the guys who make the ask a ninja vids which i find highly amusing, but not sure if they've hit the mark with this one. the first ep is pretty funny, 'the words are dying.'

dcfc are playing at the arena.

apparently, the word on the street is that 'emo' is now a putdown and as in "that's so emo"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home