Tuesday, May 23, 2006

We Are the Winners

BEDFORD ROAD: So you're wondering who the kooky guys to my right are? Well on Saturday night, after spending the day at the Portobello Markets, I was treated to the inimitable spectacle of Eurovision with a droll, deadpan sarcastic commentary by somebody called Terry Wogan. Now I know I've seen it at home on SBS but there is something particularly poignant (or sad) about watching this oldest of reality tv gladatorial contests in prime time and actually being able to vote.

And the gentleman pictographically represented on this page are LT United, a freakish looking five or six man group from Lithuania who sang a song entitled "We Are the Winners", and while their optimism proved to be missplaced, they were my favourite entrants. They are actually a collective of some of Lithuania entertainers and journalist but I'm sure this provides a better example, it's from their qualifying performance at the national finals. The actual contest was one by some Finnish gore metal joke band but I thought these guys were far better.

The rest of my weekend has proven to be a little quieter, however, I did go up to Norf London to visit Flo and Louise's new place, ate a delicious pub lunch in Kensal Green (and got free desert for slow service) and watched The Magnificient Seven (surely James Coburn's finest hour) at the NFT an The Hill Have Eyes (amazing) and Bus 174 (compelling) on DVD. And I'm off to the National Gallery this afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home