Tuesday, May 09, 2006

For all the lithium in the world...

CANARY WHARF: So it seems I have a fan in one Boom Boom Becker. I was always more of a fan of Ivan Lendl so if the good Ginger could forward on the blog adress perhaps I can attract some comments from the Ice King.
In other matters it would seem that the good city of Londinium has been rather good to me over the past couple of days. Having four days off kind of helps that. After catching up on some sleep on Sunday it was off to the Junction for Bank Holiday beers.

Then after a particularly lazy Monday I headed into my home away from home at Southbank to look at the outdoor book stalls, watch some of the skateboards and enjoy the first of the Westerns from the British Film Institutes "Tales From a Big Country" program. Naked Spur was also my first introduction into the James Stewart-Anthony Mann partnership. Shot on location in the Colorado Rockies the scenery was stunning, with the Colorado River roaring along in the background of every second scene. The film itself was a taut thriller about a job gone wrong through greed.

Tuesday was basically sitting around reading and writing before a stupid pub quiz in Balham. That's one thing that doesn't stack up over here - our pub trivia is heaps better. Then yesterday I mucked around at home for a while before going for a walk in the sunshine in north central London, stopping in at a street market at Angel, browing for Russian language texts at Borders, before meeting Charlie Brown in Leicester Square.

Next stop: the British Museum, which rises up out of the surrounding buildings like a neo-classical tsunami, all columns and granduer. Inside is no less impressive with a massive glass dome enclosing the almost as massive Reading Room. We checked out the birthplace of communism, browsed some ancient chinese bronze work and the mummies before calling the afternoon closed at a little Spanish bar just off Tottenham Court Road.

So it would seem, my good friends and tennis playing companions, that if I was to complain I would be only whinging.

2 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Routledge's 'Colloquial Russian' is, as the Japanese teachers say, my recommend. Have been walking near the river for most of the week humming "Streets Of Your Town" - for some reason I haven't actually listened to it since its author died. Strange. Almost as strange as this Becker thing: quoi?

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger liam79 said...

It was just a shock. Almost as suprising as how highly he is reverred across the globe. It was all over the BBC and the Seattle radio station I listen to.

On another note - using a mix of Beginners Russian, A Spoonful of Russian podcast and the Lonely Planet phrasebook, my Russian is coming along okay. After getting mired in the intracacies of case for almost a month, its nice to be going forward with my conversational skills.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home