Monday, April 03, 2006

Such A Perfect Day

CANARY WHARF: Rather than ranting and raving about the lamentable state of the world, or musing over some London oddity, I thought I'd take a moment to share the lovely day I had last Thursday with my favourite readers.

After sitting up too late watching the Champion's League with Elerig, and then playing too much Playstation, I roused myself midmorning. Called Rob and made plans to meet him at Ray Davies' favourite tube stop... Waterloo. From there we visited the Hayward Gallery for a last minute peak at the absolutely amazing Dan Flavin retrospective. For the uninitiated, Dan Flavin, was one of the leading minimalists. Working almost exclusively in commercially produced neon tubing, his works meant the entire gallery was bathed in this gentle, almost ethereal glow, of reds, blues, pinks, yellows and greens. I'd read countless reviews of the show but wasn't sure if I was going to be completely taken in by it. As it turns out the soft light made for the most intoxicating experience.

After the gallery we ate some crappy Chinese and then went to Leicester Square to watch The World's Fastest Indian which was okay. Kind of like The Straight Story it's a feel good movie for old folks. After that it was back to Acton where I met up with my housemate Alejandro and headed off to play football. Needless to say I was hopelessly out of touch and probably couldn't score a goal if the goalie was having an epileptic fit on the halfway line, but at least I had fun.

Anyway the rest of the week didn't get anywhere near those highs. I went to the Boat Race which was too crowded to see anything and basically bummed around most of the rest of the time. Now I'm doing a week of graveyard shifts so there isn't exactly going to be a lot to report for the next five days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home