Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Resurrection

SECOND AVENUE: Long time, no blog huh? I bet you all thought I was sitting around in miserable English living rooms staring out at rain soaked streets and bunkering down in pubs watching the last frantic moments of the football season play themselves out. That my friends, couldn't be further from the truth. Last week, after my first seven night marathon, I kicked around with Charlie Brown who was off work for the week (or the year - with teachers you can never tell) a fair bit exploring bits and pieces of North London. On the Monday we did a walk from Finsbury Park to Crouch End (setting of High Fidelity) on a disused railway track that has been transformed into a walking track. It was like a tiny bush oasis in the middle of London.

Then on the Wednesday we cruised on down to Blackfriars to pick up my Easter present (thanks Mum!) and then wandered through the ancient streets I've been reading about in Peter Ackroyd's London, swinging past St. Paul's and ending up at the Museum of London. I'm almost sure I did something on Tuesday as well but for the moment I have absolutely no idea what.

It was back to work on Thursday for a day before hooking up with the Birmingham massive in Clapham and having the rest of the Easter Weekend off. In some glorious synergy my (fulltime) job has seen me work four days in the past fourteen... beautiful. On Good Friday I headed back north with Charlie Brown, this time to check out Hampstead Heath. This sprawling park is probably the biggest I've ever seen and we wasted most of the afternoon sitting in the sun in t-shirts before heading back to Clapham for another night of adventure with the Brummies.

Our Easter party on Saturday night was, to quote Jess Two, full of racist behaviour. The less said about the nine hour orgy of debauchery the better! Then it was back to work in a deserted office on Easter Monday, another two uneventful days of work, a farewell to Jess One, and now I'm on my weekend again.

Last night we had beers at the DogStar in Brixton, a pub made famous for being in a Mike Skinner lyric (Ra Ra Back to the Dogstar), slept on the couch then walked from Clapham to the Tate Modern with Jen and Rob. Some great Cy Twomblys, Jackson Pollock's Summertime and the Giacometti statues were todays highlights. Oh and Rachel Whitread's Embankment for one last time. This sprawling installation is something I think I've waxed lyrical on in these pages in the past. Well dear readers, that would be all from me, or as much as my memory permits. Now it's off to stare out the window at the 8PM sunshine and get ready for football.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home