Sunday, February 19, 2006

A Day at the Library

BARONS COURT: So it would seem that our intrepid unemployed adventurer finally has something to report after more numbing days of hanging out in internet cafes applying for jobs, taking numeracy tests in employment agencies, watching the footy and sitting on couches.

Yesterday, after a stop off at the pub to watch the Reds account for United in the Cup, I headed across the road to the British Library where I spent a lazy afternoon looking at original manuscripts of everybody from George Eliot to Wilfred Owen to James Joyce (whose scribbled manuscript for ' Wake actually looked more legible than the published version!). There were original envelopes on which John Lennon had scrawled lyrics, and copies of Motzart's original compositions, and a various copies of The Book of Hours, and books printed by Guttenburg and Jane Austen. It was wonderful and then I went downstairs where there was an exhibition on Alfred Nobel and the Nobel Prize. Highlight being the listening booth where I got to hear an original interview with William Faulkner and Ernest Hemingway! (Seperate, not together). There were also some wonderful experimental short films.

Then I came home and played Scrabble and it seems, through some wonderful stroke of luck, that my good fortune at drawing letters has persisted.

Anyway my friends this Wednesday I have a lucrative gig stapling so I will let you know how this wonderful employ tests my problem solving abilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home