Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Pushkin Was A Poet Not A Painter

So after we finally found our hostel, had a shower and cleaned up we cruised down to the Kremlin to eat lunch at the world's biggest McDonald's. Unfortunately we were so tired we couldn't find Red Square despite standing on the other side of the wall from it. So we gave up and ate pizza instead. We found out the next day that we were actually standing on part of it!

Then after lunch we headed over to the Pushkin Fine Arts Museum to take in the best Moscow had to offer. Let me start by saying I was absolutely, positively blown away. They had some beautiful Bonnards, some sombre Rembrandts, a great El Greco, maddening Van Gogh, awesome Kandinsky's, adjective-less Monets (yes, Monets that I actually enjoyed) and wait for it... Picasso's "Portrait of Vollard" which, as you may or may not know, is about my most favourite picture in the galaxy. And like all great art discoveries I had no idea it was there. And then there was also a fantastic painting by Pieter Brueghel the Elder that I love as well.

With two of my favourite pictures, by two of my favourite painters, it was probably the most enjoyable day I've had in an art gallery since the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

Oh and the rest of the gallery was filled with plaster casts of famous sculptures. Plaster casts... WTF????????????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home