Saturday, November 26, 2005

Bye Bye Bangkok

My last two days in Bangkok were reasonably unexciting but I did get in some time to see the essential sites. Day One, after a three hour flood delay, I got in at the very comfortable time of nine, found a hostel, dumped my stuff and then cruised down Th Khao San to pick up the bag I'd left in storage and obtain a couple of fake student ID cards.

All that accomplished it was back to my hostel to get a couple of pairs of pants tailored. Two hours later I was getting a coat custom tailored for my Eastern European adventure. It saved me time and money in London but meant I couldn't make the crosstown trek to the muay thai.

It did leave me enough time to check out the Imperial Palace which was quite amazing. Stunning little temples with gilded Buddahs, tiled stupas and even a mini Angkor Wat. Then I cruised down to Wat Pho to see the reclining Buddah.

At more than forty metres in length, with his feet standing over ten metres high it was very cool indeed. When I get the pictures I'll post them. Then for the next hour or so I proceeded to get incredibly lost in the disorientating gardens.

Then on my last day I cruised out to Chattachak Markets... the so called Grandaddy of all Markets!!! It was amazing. In the six hours I was there I saw about a 1/5 of what there was to see. But for a man on a mission with a shopping list as long as somebody else's legs, it was perfect. With fifteen t-shirts, two fake watches, a pair of gloves and a pair of fake sunnies I was all set for the icy extremes of the Baltic winter.

To finish the day off I went for a bit of a cruise on the Sky Train then it was back to my hostel to kill some time before it was on to the airport to sit in a departure lounge for five hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home